20 Session Course Starting February 2nd 2021
Dates: February 2, 4, 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25
March 2, 4, 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25, 30
April 1, 6, 8
Time: 1:00pm - 3:00 pm (central standard time)
This is our traditional course that runs two sessions a week for 10 weeks online via Zoom course. Robyn and her instructors have been using online training via Zoom for the past two years and they know first hand how to use the platform to create the best learning environment for everyone in the course.
Peer support workers from around the world have benefited from this training all from the comforts of their office or home.
This new and updated training was created in conjunction with the Centre for Innovation in Peer Support. The training includes diving deeper into the below topics to add more to your peer supporter role.
It is a comprehensive, interactive and practical training of peer support workers and family peer support workers.
Who can be a peer support worker? Those people with their own experience of living with mental health/addiction issues. But wait, there’s more, we also train Family Peer Support Workers in the training.
Who can do that? A family member of someone living with a mental health/addiction issues.
We have designed the training to maximize your learning through the use of many teaching modalities. We will be using videos, slides, dialogue, interactive exercises and games, and lots of practice to fully equip you to be in communities providing valuable peer support services after this training.
Throughout all training there is a strong emphasis on ensuring the incorporation of:
• The Peer Support Canada Knowledge Matrix requirements related to peer support delivery,
• The Mental Health Commission of Canada’s (MHCC) peer support values (as outlined in the Guidelines for the Practice and Training of Peer Supporters),
• The principles of trauma informed support; and
• Related components of the MHCC National Standard for Psychological Health and Safety.
This training is highly interactive and includes lots of practice of the skills you will need.
Session Topics Include:
• Mental health system
• PS fundamentals
• Strength based support/advocacy
• Resiliency, empowerment & hope
• Social determinants of health
• The healthcare system
• Stages of change
• Conflict resolution
• In the system not of the system
• Preferred communication styles
• Connecting through your story
• Supporting with understanding (trauma informed support)
• Supporting someone in a crisis/emergency
• Let’s talk about the “S” word
• Stigma and discrimination
• Wellness tools
• Ethic and boundaries
• Working as a team
• Peers as professionals
$750 per person plus gst/hst
For more information please contact